After researching fluoride, fluorine, and if fluoride is healthy, I decided to develop my own spin on a natural homemade toothpaste that my husband and I could use. (If you haven’t already, check out my article on fluoride!) Not only do I have full control of the ingredients, it is healthier and cheaper than other toothpastes out there!
Developing a Homemade Toothpaste Recipe
Many great websites and blogs offer all-natural homemade alternatives to store-bought “natural” toothpastes. Though you may be able to find a paste that is fluoride-free, many of the store-bought brands contain glycerin or other additives that may be natural, but are collected by very unnatural means. I’ve also read that these ingredients can sometimes coat your teeth, disabling any natural remineralization. In addition, most of the recipes I found from other sites include some type of sweetener, which is unnecessary in my eyes. A lot of them contain essential oils or strategic ingredients like calcium bicarbonate or bentonite clay. Thought I’m sure all of these work well and in different ways, I was anxious to develop a recipe I could use today. So I resorted to things I had lying around the house:
- Coconut oil as a binder and base. This not only tastes and smells great, but is relatively inexpensive (especially when bought in bulk sizes) and can work as a detox, astringent, and anti-inflammatory.
- Baking soda. Baking soda has been used for ages as a teeth whitener and toothpaste enhancer. I have read that it can be somewhat abrasive to teeth enamel, but more sources than not advocate for using baking soda as an alternative to toothpaste, citing that any abrasion it may cause will be less than chemical fluoride toothpaste.
- Sea salt is often used to remove bacteria and heal infections of the throat, mouth, and gums, so it makes sense that it would be an ingredient in our toothpaste.
- Mint extract as a breath freshener, taste enhancer, and because it’s only ingredients are alcohol and mint essential oils. Plus I already had it in the cupboard. . .
Here is my recipe for truly natural toothpaste:
Natural Homemade Toothpaste Recipe
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup baking soda
2 Tbs natural sea salt
2 tsp organic mint extract
2 Tbs hot water
- Combine coconut oil (room temperature in semi-solid form), baking soda, sea salt, and mint extract in a medium sized bowl and mix into a doughy paste.
- Add two tablespoons of hot water and stir throughout. This will help get to the right consistency!
- Transfer into smaller bowls (with lids) for use as toothpaste!
Here are some other natural homemade toothpaste recipes: