When considering all of the best pumpkin recipes I could make healthier in my list of recipe makeovers, pumpkin bread was a must! My goals for this recipe was to make a gluten free version that not only tasted great, was lower in calories than the original, but also maintained the consistency of an original pumpkin bread (the fat-filled, all-purpose flour, refined sugar type). I had previously tried a gluten free pumpkin bread with no eggs that was also vegan, but it didn’t seem to have the best consistency, and it also wasn’t sweet enough. I found that whipping egg whites into stiff peaks really did the trick in bringing the fluffy texture that was needed. And the results are delicious!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread Recipe
8 egg whites
3 cups of old fashioned oatmeal
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup coconut sugar
1 15oz can of pumpkin puree
1 tsp almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease the bottom of a 9x5x3″ loaf pan (I used butter, but coconut oil is also a great alternative).
3. In a food processor or high powered blender, grind oatmeal into oat flour.
4. In a large bowl, whisk in other dry ingredients (baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking powder) until thoroughly combined.
5. In a separate large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
6. To your butter and sugar mix, add applesauce, pumpkin puree and almond extract. Mix well.
7. Carefully fold egg whites into wet ingredient mixture.
8. Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
9. Once fully combined, pour into greased loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour, until a knife in the middle comes out clean.
10. Cool for about 15 minutes, then remove from loaf pan, slice, and enjoy!
- 8 egg whites
- 3 cups of old fashioned oatmeal
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 15oz can of pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease the bottom of a 9x5x3" loaf pan (I used butter, but coconut oil is also a great alternative).
- In a food processor or high powered blender, grind oatmeal into oat flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk in other dry ingredients (baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking powder) until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- To your butter and sugar mix, add applesauce, pumpkin puree and almond extract. Mix well.
- Carefully fold egg whites into wet ingredient mixture.
- Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Once fully combined, pour into greased loaf pan and bake for about 1 hour, until a knife in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for about 15 minutes, then remove from loaf pan, slice, and enjoy!
So, what do you think?
Is this a recipe you would try? Have you tried it? What are your thoughts? We want to know! My goal is to make the healthiest, best-tasting recipes that are as satisfying for my body as they are to my senses! But more than a low calorie, wonder dessert, I want to spread the Gospel of Jesus to all of you whole food, whole living, health freak fans. Because really – without Jesus, you can’t have whole and sustaining life – yes, even with gluten free pumpkin bread! 🙂
An even better bread!
So truly, I would be doing you a disservice if I didn’t take the time now to remind you (if you’ve heard it before) of the true bread of life: Jesus! After feeding more than five thousand people with bread and a few fish, Jesus tells his disciples and all those who had gathered to hear him, that God himself, Jesus’s Father, “gives you the real bread from heaven. For the bread of God is the One who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” (John 6:31-32) This bread of life is Jesus!
“I am the bread of life,” Jesus told them. “No one who comes to Me will ever be hungry, and no one who believes in Me will ever be thirsty again.”
John 6:35 (HCSB)
Do you believe this? Do you believe that God can give you sustaining food, something that will leave you never hungering for food, never thirsty again? And if you believe that, do you accept that Jesus, His Son, is the very person, that very bread of life that is available to sustain you?!
You can have this bread today (pumpkin bread AND Jesus! – it’s your lucky day!) by accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior. Eating bread is very easy – you just make the bread, prepare the bread (butter, sandwich, sliced, etc.), and eat the bread, then your body will take over and make energy for you. This bread, this Jesus, has already been prepared for you, as the replacement for your death in repayment for your sins (all the bad stuff keeping you from holiness and keeping you from relationship with God). All you need to do it accept Jesus into your life by admitting that you are a sinner and in need of saving, believe in your heart that Jesus is the Son of God, that He died on the cross for your sins and that God raised Him back to life, and confess with your mouth that “Jesus is Lord.” That’s all! Then you will be saved – then you will have the bread of life that will never leave you hungry again – the living water that will never leave you thirsting again. And God will do the rest!
This is your free gift today. All you need to do it accept it!
Whole living is more than healthy recipes and great tasting pumpkin bread 🙂 Check out the other sections of our site and see what else goes into a fully sustained and satisfied life!